Thursday, December 17, 2009

Season's Greetings...

For those of you who check this Blog on a regular basis, I apologize to you for being a Blog Slacker.

The truth is... I only intended to keep people informed about my hiking adventure. And I never put any thought into what to do with this site after the hiking season.

More than a few people have asked why I haven't been Blogging. I think part of the reason is that I didn't know what to Blog about.

I never really considered myself a Blogger. In fact, I didn't know what a Blog was until someone helped me set up this site.

Most Blogs are "theme specific" or "topic oriented." But rather than have another Blog all about: sports, politics, dance, massage, etc., I would like for this site to be a free flow of ideas.

So when things happen in the world or in my life, I will try to make a point of jotting down some ideas about the subject or voicing my opinion.

If there is a topic that you would like for me to cover, feel free to send me an e-mail and (if I have an opinion on the subject) I will be happy to share my thoughts.

Another reason I haven't written is that I have immersed myself into the Grand Opening and marketing of my new massage office.

It seems that whenever I am not there massaging people, I am going about the business of marketing myself.

For many years I worked in sales, so I understand the concept of marketing. However, in the past, I was promoting a product or company. In this case, I AM the product AND the company!

I have to find ways to make me sound great without seeming like I'm "tooting my own horn" (which of course, I am).

This is why word of mouth advertising is by far the most efficient way to market yourself. When someone you know (and trust) tells you about a product or service that they use, you are more likely to try it than if you heard about it from a guy you've never met yelling through a megaphone on some street corner.

So far I have not paid for any advertising other than printing costs for business cards, brochures and flyers.

Last month my banker was nice enough to feature me as the business of the month. I had a nice display table set up with information about my work, the website and how to find me. (Thanks Rachel!)

I also set up a "Win a Free Massage" box that generated quite a bit of interest. We'll see what comes of that.

Before I sign off for today, I will make one last shameless plug for myself (since I'm in marketing mode)!

This is a reminder that if you run out of great gift ideas this holiday season--- keep in mind that I have Gift Certificates. Why not give the gift of health for the holiday?

Gift Certificates are always the perfect gift. It never has to be returned for being the wrong size or color. And Gift Certificates can be used for Massage or Personal Training.

Give massage gift certificates to anyone who needs to de-stress, relax or is in pain. Or give a personal training session to anyone you know making a New Year's Resolution to get back in shape in 2010.

Here is a list of potential candidates: your boss, your secretary, your nanny, your housekeeper, your kids' teachers, anyone who did something extraordinarily nice for you lately, stressed out college students, pregnant women, new mom's and dad's who are toting around a new baby (in and out of car seats and cribs, etc.), and also for the friend or relative who is impossible to find the perfect gift for.

Having said all that, I would also like to say that this whole holiday season has gotten a little too commercial for me. Now this could be something to Blog about! This is one of those things that has always bothered me. Even as a child I didn't like the whole gift giving part of the holiday.

This is another reason why massage is such a great gift. It's not like you are giving someone "stuff." They don't have to find a place to put it, or find the time to return it. They just get to enjoy it (or re-gift it so someone else can enjoy it).

So I would like to make a "Call To Action" this holiday season. I would ask that you do three things: 1) Do something nice for someone you know; 2) Do something nice for someone you don't know; and 3) Do something nice for yourself.

Keep in mind that when I say "do something nice" I don't mean give them money or a present. I mean spend a little time with your niece's and nephews so that your sister and brother-in-law can spend a little quality time with each other (for example). Or spend time with someone who needs help with something around the house.

And if you see someone in the parking lot at the shopping mall trying to load a heavy package into the trunk, but having a hard time lifting it out of the cart. Go over and help them out. Be careful to ask permission first, so they don't think you are trying to steal their stuff.

As to things that you can do for yourself... only you know what you really need. Remember that if you don't take care of yourself it will be much more challenging to take care of others. Treat yourself to a massage or just a little quiet time. Go for a walk. You know what will rejuvenate you-- just do it.

Enjoy the holiday season -- whatever it is that you celebrate....

I look forward to seeing and hearing from you all soon.

Peace and Love,
-------Nick


No comments:

Post a Comment