Thursday, April 30, 2009

Bear Alert!

This post is an update to let you know how the progress is coming along.

I've been really pushing the leg a little more than I would push other people.  But I feel like it is paying off.  For the past few days I have been in Maine visiting a friend and taking some "day hikes."  Mt. Battie is a small (approximately 1000 foot) mountain along the coast of Maine.  I thought that would be a good trial run.  

What made this hike more eventful than the other day hikes I've been taking closer to home... is that this is the first time I put the pack back on.  So I made it up and back down without incident and the leg still feels pretty good.  I was hoping to do two days in a row but that did not happen.  

My plan was to go to my old stomping grounds to hike Mt Monadnock (which would be more of a challenge at 3000 feet.)  Unfortunately, the campground was closed due to the ice storms that hit NH this past December.  So I am off to find another spot.  I'll do two days in a row... with the pack.  Then I will be ready to hit the Trail for real.

As a side note, I have been following along on the Trail websites and found this update at www.appalachiantrail.org :

Neals Gap to Tesnatee Gap --  Due to recent bear activity, the U.S. Forest Service has closed this 5.5 mile section to camping.  Camping ban will remain in effect until the end of April.  (Posted on 4/08/09.)

This stretch is in the Georgia section of the Trail... so I could potentially have been hiking through at the time of the ban.  

Also at that same website is a pretty good interactive map of the Appalachian Trail.  It may be powered by Google Maps.  It has similar satellite and hybrid capabilities.  

When I finish the next two hikes, I'll post some photos.  On the upside, I have been spending a lot more time outside than I have in the past.  It really feels good to be a part of "nature."  I think everybody should spend more time outside.

OK, I'm headed back "into the woods..."  (a little pun for all my theater buddies!)

Peace and Love,
------Nick

2 comments:

  1. Mt Monadnock - that brings back memories!!!! :) :) :) Glad things are going well. Hope you can make it back out there again soon! You can always come hiking (silly little hikes!) with us anytime! Miss you.

    xoxo

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah Mt Battie, last time we were there was 1998, for our 7th Anniversary. It is a beautiful little mountain, and Camden, down below, is a great little town. Hope you are enjoying this time, do everything you can while you can!! Hope to see you soon.
    D

    ReplyDelete